Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Oh Let Me Fly!

Summary: Who among us hasn't had that dream? You know the one. For me, it always begins with some human act - I'm long jumping at a track meet or trying to leap over a wide stream, something like that. Suddenly, in mid-air, I realize, "hey, I don't have to put my feet down!" I begin paddling through the air with my legs, rising higher and higher into the air. I'm flying!

Unaided human flight is something we've all longed for, and this guy, Yves Rossy, has taken us one step closer. "The Jet Man", as he's called, soars through the air at speeds approaching two hundred miles per hour, and his passion has taken us all one step closer to the dream.

Why it's a Mind-Blow: Humans have been flying solo for some time now. But airplanes, hot-air balloons, even para-gliders and hang-gliders differ from the Jet Man in one important way: the actual control of flight is dependent on external technology. Granted, Mr. Rossy relies on thrust provided by his "Batmanesque" jet pack, but his movement through the air is controlled by his body alone. His wings are fixed, but he rises, falls, turns and soars by the movement of his own person. In all other forms of flight, one must steer something. But as the Jet Man arches his back, turns his head, or adjusts his arms, human flight takes on a whole new dimension. He isn't steering anything but himself. He is, in fact, flying, and I for one can't wait for my turn!


No comments:

Post a Comment